The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR is a new image–stabilized (using Nikon’s Vibration Reduction technology) zoom lens created as the kit lens for the new Nikon D90. On paper, it is a good lens with a long and usable range that will appeal greatly to first–time digital SLR buyers. The only thing that makes it look bad is the Nikon 18–200 VR of course.
Here’s more on the 18–105 DX VR:
- DX-format, high-power 5.8x zoom lens with focal length ranging from 18 to 105mm
- Broad picture angle range approximates the perspective of a 27-157.5mm lens on a 35mm-format film camera or Nikon FX-format digital SLR
- Covers diverse shooting situations from wide-angle landscapes and interiors to portraiture and medium-range sports
- Vibration Reduction assures sharper handheld pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible
- Built-in Silent Wave Motor delivers quiet, swift autofocus with superior accuracy
- High-performance optical system featuring an ED glass element and an aspherical lens element realizes superior image reproduction capability
- The rounded 7-blade diaphragm opening renders out-of-focus elements more naturally
- Leather texture matches Nikon digital SLR’s body high-quality exterior design
No reports on pricing yet as it seems it will only be available as part of the D90 kit.