Sigma has just announced the first circular fisheye lens for APS–C digital SLR cameras in the Sigma 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC Circular Fisheye HSM. When used in a 1.5x crop SLR body like the new Nikon D300 as well as those before it, this new lens will produce an image with a 180 degree angle of view. Worthy of note are:
- The first 180 degree circular fisheye lens designed specifically for APS-C size digital SLR cameras
- Fast F2.8 maximum aperture making it ideal for low light photography
- Minimum focusing distance of 13.5cm and a maximum magnification of 1:6
- SLD glass minimizes color aberration
- Equipped with HSM with full-time manual focus override
- Equisolid angle projection method is possible for art and scientific use
Since this will be the very first lens of this type for APS–C cameras, this should sell relatively well until other lens manufacturers follow suit. Hopefully, this lens will be relatively affordable and good enough for the demands of today’s high–resolution cameras.